5 Best International Money Transfer Apps for Australians
Looking for the best international money transfer apps? We have done all the research for you in our easy to read guide.
With so many companies offering mobile apps nowadays, it can make choosing the right app for you overwhelming. Which one gives you the best experience and which one can you trust?
Here is a list of 5 best international money transfer apps currently in the market and what we think about them:
1. Wise App
Valued at over 1.5 billion dollars, Wise (formerly known as TransferWise) is the fastest growing global money transfer company. And it shows. The Wise app is one of the best in the market - a fantastic way to deliver money overseas within seconds. The app even shows you how much you save when you make a transaction with their price comparison calculator, so even if they aren't the cheapest option, they let you know. If that's not transparent, we don't know what is.
- Geographic availability - US, UK, EU and AUS
- Device availability - iPhone, Android and Smartwatch
- Payment methods - Debit Card (Europe), Bank Credit Card and Bank Wire from a bank account
- Transfer limits - Minimum transfer: $10
- Special features - Compatible with Apple Pay, SWIFT, Supports Wallet (enter card details quickly) and Family Sharing
- Other features - Keep all of your receipts in one place and easily repeat your previous transfers
Learn more about Wise
CurrencyFair is a P2P money transfer service that you can use throughout Europe, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Their money transfer app is fairly easy to use but is limited in its functionality. Basically, you are able to do everything on the app that is available on desktop.
- Geographic availability - EU, UK & AUS
- Device Availability - iPhone and Android
- Currencies you can pay in - Emirati Dirham (AED),, Danish Krone (DKK), New Zealand Dollar (NZD), Australian Dollar (AUD)*, Euro (EUR), Polish Zloty (PLN), Canadian Dollar (CAD), British Pound (GBP), Swedish Krona (SEK), Swiss Franc (CHF), Hungarian Forint (HUF), US Dollar (USD), Czech Koruna (CZK), Norwegian Krone (NOK), South African Rand (ZAR)Emirati Dirham (AED), Euro (EUR), New Zealand Dollar (NZD), Australian Dollar (AUD), British Pound (GBP), Polish Zloty (PLN), Canadian Dollar (CAD),Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Swedish Krona (SEK), Swiss Franc (CHF), Hungarian Forint (HUF), Singapore Dollar (SGD), Czech Koruna (CZK), Israeli Shekel (ILS), Indian Rupee (INR), US Dollar (USD), Danish Krone (DKK), Norwegian Krone (NOK), South African Rand (ZAR).
- Apple App Store Rating - 4.7 out of 5
- Google Play Rating - 4.3 out of 5
10 Free Transfers
The Currency Shop has partnered with CurrencyFair to offer 10 fee free money transfers. Click on this offer, register your details and avoid paying a fee to transfer money overseas.
- Easy to use online platform
- Excellent exchange rates for sending money to and from Australia
- Rated Excellent 4.7 out of 5 by over 4000 customers on independent review site Trustpilot.
Learn More About CurrencyFair
Specialising in sending remittances to Asia or Africa, WorldRemit has an accompanying app. If you need a truly global, flexible, safe and quick money transfer service, then the WorldRemit app is perfect for you. The app lets you send money from more than 50 countries to over 140 countries around the world. The best thing is, you can complete instant or near-instant mobile money transfers, bank deposits, mobile airtime top-ups and cash pick-ups. WorldRemit's app is also simple to use and very secure (backed by Norton software).
- Geographic availability - United States, UK, EU, Asia, Africa and Australia
- Device availability - iPhone and Android
- Payment methods - debit card or bank wire
- Special features - Supports Wallet (enter card details quickly) and family sharing
- Other features - Send money to your recipient's bank, cash pick-up, mobile-money function and airtime top up function
Learn more about WorldRemit
OFX (formally known as Ozforex) was born online and continues to develop easy, intuitive products like it's mobile app. You can view live and historical exchange rates, set up rate alerts and manage and track all your transfers. For new users, you can also use the app to register for an OFX account.
- Geographic availability - EU, UK, AUS, US and CA
- Device availability - iPhone and Android
- Payment methods - debit card or bank card locally or with a bank wire from a bank account
- Transfer limits - Minimum transfers: $150
- Other features - Live rates, historical charts and rate watch tools and they offer market updates
Learn more about OFX
XE is one of the worlds most recognisable brands for currency conversion. Their site xe.com fast became the most popular currency converter in the world. Their app is largely based around the same function. That is, helping you calculate the conversion of one currency to another. They also have an app specifically to make transfers overseas.
- Rate alerts and the ability to 'follow' currencies
- Device availability - iPhone and Android
- Exchange rate comparison
- Transfer limits - Minimum: $150
- Other features. Live rates, historical charts and rate watch tools and they offer market updates
Learn more about XE
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This depends on which money transfer specialist you've decided to go with. Generally, you'll be able to send money to as many countries as you Here is the list of the currencies and countries you can send money for the companies listed above:
EUR (Euro), USD (US Dollar), GBP (British Pound), AED (UAE Dirham), AUD (Australian Dollar), BDT (Bangladeshi Taka), BGN (Bulgarian Lev), BRL (Brazilian Real), CAD (Canadian Dollar), CHF (Swiss Franc), CLP (Chilean Peso), CNY (Chinese Yuan), CZK (Czech Koruna), DKK (Danish Krone), EGP (Egyptian Pound), GEL (Georgian Lari), HKD (Hong Kong Dollar), HRK (Croatian Kuna), HUF (Hungarian Forint), IDR (Indonesian Rupiah), ILS (Israeli Shekel), INR (Indian Rupee), JPY (Japanese Yen), KES (Kenyan Shilling), KRW (South Korean Won), LKR (Sri Lankan Rupee), MAD (Moroccan Dirham), MXN (Mexican Peso), MYR (Malaysian Ringgit), NGN (Nigerian Naira), NOK (Norwegian Krone), NZD (New Zealand Dollar), PEN (Peruvian Nuevo Sol), PHP (Philippine Peso), PKR (Pakistan Rupee), PLN (Polish Zloty), RON (Romanian Leu), RUB (Russian Rouble), SEK (Swedish Krona), SGD (Singapore Dollar), THB (Thai Baht), TRY (Turkish Lira), UAH (Ukrainian Hryvnia), VND (Vietnamese Dong), ZAR (South African Rand)
AED, ALL, AMD, ARS, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BIF, BRL, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, CUC, CUP, CVE, CZK, DKK, DOP, EGP, EUR, FJD, GBP, GHS, GNF, GTQ, HKD, HNL, HRK, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JMD, JOD, KES, KMF, KZT, LAK, LKR, LRD, MAD, MGA, MRO, MXN, MYR, MZN, NGN, NOK, NPR, NZD, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, RWF, SEK, SGD, SLL, THB, TND, TOP, TZS, UGX, USD, VND, WST, XAF, XCD, XOF, ZAR, ZMW
Be aware that, although there is an extensive list of 50 countries where money can be sent to from Australia, not all of these countries accept funds in the same way. For example, El Salvador is listed as a country that money can be sent to, but you are only given the option of transferring via recharging mobile phone credit. For many other countries, the options are more varied, including the convenience of bank transfer.
Some countries, including Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, North Korea, Syria, Vietnam and Belize, are not listed at all.
AED - United Arab Emirates Dirham; AUD - Australian Dollar; BGN - Bularian Lev; BHD - Bahraini Dinar; CAD - Canadian Dollars; CHF - Swiss Franc; CNY - Chinese Yuan Renminbi; CZK - Czech Koruna; DKK - Danish Krone; EUR - Euro; GBP - Great Britain Pound; HKD - Hong Kong Dollar; HUF - Hungarian Forint; ILS - Israeli Shekel; JPY - Japanese Yen; KES - Kenyan Shilling; KWD - Kuwaiti Dinar; MXN - Mexican Peso; NOK - Norwegian Krone; NZD - New Zealand Dollar; OMR - Omani Rial; PHP - Philippine Peso; PLN - Polish Zloty; QAR - Qatari Rial; RON - Romanian Leu; RUB - Russian Ruble; SAR - Saudi Riyal; SEK - Swedish Krona; SGD - Singapore Dollar; THB - Thailand Baht; TND - Tunisian Dinar; TRY - Turkish Lira; USD - United States Dollar; ZAR - South African Rand
AED - United Arab Emirates Dirham; AUD - Australian Dollar; AZN - Azerbaijani Minat; BGN - Bularian Lev; BHD - Bahraini Dinar; BND - Brunei Dollar; CAD - Canadian Dollar; CHF - Swiss Franc; CNY* - Chinese Yuan Renminbi; CZK - Czech Koruna; DKK - Danish Kroner; EGP - Egyptian Pound; EUR - Euro; GBP - Pound Sterling; HKD - Hong Kong Dollar; HUF - Hungarian Forint; IDR - Indonesian Rupiah; ILS - Israeli Shekel; INR - Indian Rupees; JPY - Japanese Yen; KRW - South Korean Won; KWD - Kuwaiti Dinar; LKR - Sri Lankan Rupee; MAD - Moroccan Dirham; MGA - Malagasy Ariary; MYR - Malaysian Ringgit; MXN - Mexican Peso; NZD - New Zealand Dollar; OMR - Omani Rial; PEN - Peruvian Nuevo Sol; PGK - Papua New Guinea Kina; PHP - Philippine Peso; PKR - Pakistan Rupee; PLN - Polish Zloty; RUB - Russian Ruble; SAR - Saudi Riyal; SBD - Solomon Island Dollar; SCR - Seychelles Rupee; SEK - Swedish Kroner; SGD - Singapore Dollar; THB - Thailand Baht; TOP - Tongan Pa anga; TRY - Turkish Lira; TWD - Taiwanese Dollar; TZN - Tanzanian Shilling; USD - US Dollar; VEF - Venezuelan Bolivar Fuerte; VND - Vietnamese Dong; VUV - Vanuatu Vatu; WST - Samoan Talar; XOF - CFA Franc; XPF - CFP Franc; ZAR - South African Rand.
AED, AUD, BHD, BWP, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EGP, EUR, FJD, GBP, HKD, HRK, HUF, ILS, INR, JPY, KES, KGS, KWD, LKR, LTL, MAD, MUR, MXN, NOK, NZD, OMR, PHP, PLN, QAR, RON, RUB, SAR, SEK, SGD, THB, TRY, TTD, UGX, USD, XCD, ZAR
Some providers get your money to its destination in minutes after payment, especially if you pay with a debit card. Others require a few days to get to your recipient. Be sure to confirm transfer speeds of your service before putting down your cash.
Yes. When processed through a reputable bank or company, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. And if you're sending money internationally, federal protections are in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees up front and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn't yet been picked up or deposited.
In addition to the convenience, you can get more value from transfer apps by taking advantage of the wide-ranging services available.
- Get preferable foreign exchange rates. Once you know how to find the best foreign exchange ratesyou can look to apps for more functionality and ease of use, and can even take advantage of built-in calculators to check your expected costs or returns.
- Look for a forex trading advantage. The fast-paced foreign exchange market runs 24/7 and can deliver an effective return on investment, but are you really able to compete effectively if you don't use a foreign money transfer app? Access your investments through your phone as well as the tools that can help you make effective decisions.
- Make same-day transfers. If your transactions are time-sensitive, international transfer apps can be an effective way of making sure they go off as planned. Make same-day international transactions and track them wherever you are for more peace of mind in everyday finances.
Look at the app's functionality in combination with the benefits offered by the provider. You may wish to look at:
Different providers may have inherently different exchange rates. Look at the rates for the currencies you plan on transferring and compare apps for the providers who offer preferable terms for your types of transfer.
Fees might be in flat rates, percentages, or in some cases might even be non-existent. It can depend on the type of transfer. For example, some providers may only charge fees on international but not domestic transactions, while others might only charge fees for transfers above a certain value. It can be advisable to know what type of transactions you will mainly be making, and looking for both a provider and an app that can effectively accommodate you.
What are the recipient's options for picking up funds? Mobile money transfer apps can not only make it easier to receive money in more locations, but can also be used to confirm transfers if the recipient can't access the funds right away.
International money transfer brands often find themselves competing directly with the big banks, and will often have the customer service infrastructure and support teams that can rival those of the major banks. It can be worth holding your financial services providers to high customer service standards, and it can be good to know you're able to depend on them.
You can get more value for money by comparing both providers themselves, and their apps. If you're thinking of making a switch or signing up, it may be useful to compare both in one place.
Your currency knowledge centre
5 Cheaper Ways to Transfer Money Overseas
Using a bank is one of the easiest ways of transferring money overseas, but can also be the most costly. There are alternatives that can make the whole process cheaper.
International Money Transfer Comparison and Reviews
Find the best international money transfer exchange rates to send money overseas from Australia. Compare the rates and fees from leading banks and money transfer services.
How to Transfer Money Overseas from your Australian Bank Account
Transferring money overseas from your Australian bank account is simple once you know how to do it, but you might be short on time to figure it out.