Receiving Inheritance Money from Abroad

Tax on inheritance money from overseas

According to H&R Block, “The inheritance is not taxable unless you are advised by the executor that a part is taxable. However, if you invest the income from the estate then any earnings will be taxable.”

If you are the executor of a will or estate, you are responsible for the deceased individual’s tax affairs. Currently, Australia does not have death duty. But be aware that some financial transactions that occur as a consequence of a person’s death are still taxed.

The taxation responsibilities you need to be aware of are outlined very clearly by the Australian Taxation Office. Check out their website or call one of their officers. You can also talk to your accountant and seek their assistance.

After a person dies their estate can continue to gather income. This could be from unpaid wages, interest on bank accounts, dividends from shares or capital gains from the sale of any assets. Until full administration of the estate is organised, a trust tax return is payable on any taxable income. This tax must be dealt with by the executor or by beneficiaries who are named in the will. Again, if you’re unclear, speak to the Australian Taxation Office direct, or call your accountant to help.

What about moving to Australia for the first time: income earned from overseas sources or monetary gift from overseas?

In these situations, read our related article below:

Capital gains tax

Even when it comes to the transfer of assets from a deceased person’s estate, Capital Gains Tax (CGT) still applies.

The date this transfer occurs is considered as the date of the death.

Property, fund investments and shares are the most common assets transferred.

Any assets that were transferred before September 20, 1985 are pre-CGT and, therefore, exempt. Make sure you hold on to any records related to this for full compliance.

Exemptions from CGT also apply. This is as long as they are related to the transfer of many assets that are passed to either a beneficiary or a personal legal representative. Be aware, that CGT needs to be paid if an asset is transferred after death to:

  1. A foreign resident.
  2. A tax-exempt entity, for example a charity, church or superannuation fund trustee.

For full details on capital gains tax payments, visit the website of the Australian Taxation Office.

Safe with sticky note reading 'inheritance tax'

Inheritance tax law in Australia

Inheritance law in Australia varies in each state or territory. These laws were rewritten and updated in 2011 and there is a progression towards a uniform law across the country.

Generally, the executor of a will is the one responsible for ensuring that there is full compliance with inheritance laws.

If you’re confused or concerned about any death tax contact your local Public Trustees office in your state or territory to find out about specific rules related to your location.

If you are named the executor of a will, you will be responsible for:

  1. Notifying all beneficiaries of the will.
  2. Valuing and looking after the estate.
  3. Obtaining the authority, usually from your local Supreme Court, to administer the estate.
  4. Ensuring all tax returns are completed and lodged.
  5. Taking care of all outstanding debts.
  6. Overseeing the division of the estate and all associated assets.

How to send the money back to Australia

When you bring the money back to Australia, you have a few options:

1. Bank Cheque

You can get the executor of the estate to issue you a bank cheque in the currency of that country.

The Currency Shop says:

While it really depends on your situation, we rarely suggest a bank cheque in a foreign currency. It usually takes a long time to convert back to Australian dollars and can be very costly.

2. Bank Transfer

You can get the executor of the estate to send the funds to your Australian bank account.

The Currency Shop says:

This option is the most expensive way to transfer money. However, you can expect your transfers to arrive back in Australia fairly quickly

3. Transfer Money Online

You can use a money transfer company and get the executor of the estate to send the funds to the company. The money transfer company then converts it into Australian dollars and credits your Australian bank account.

The Currency Shop says:

Using a money transfer company does require a bit of work to set up an account, but it can save you a lot of money. This is generally due to receiving a better exchange rate.

Consider using TorFX. While their online experience isn’t great, they do have excellent phone and email customer service and exceptional exchange rates for larger amounts.

4. Borderless Accounts

You can open a Borderless Account with TransferWise or a Foreign Currency Account and have the money transferred there. Designed mainly for people who want to send and receive money in multiple currencies around the world.

The Currency Shop says:

The TransferWise Borderless accounts offer good exchange rates and low fees. Be careful of the fees associated with other Foreign Currency Accounts.

You can transfer money in the account from one currency to another at the click of a button.

Fee Free Offer

The Currency Shop has partnered with OFX to offer fee free money transfers. Click on this offer, register your details and avoid paying a fee to transfer money overseas.

  • After 20 years, OFX is one of the oldest money transfer companies and they have the expertise to go with it.
  • Their rates are often better than the banks, especially for larger transfers.
  • 24/7 phone support.
  • They have a minimum transfer amount of $250
  • Receiving or intermediary banks may charge fees on transactions

Learn More About OFX