Can You Use a Credit Card to Send Money Overseas?
Yes, you can send money overseas using a credit card. But it can be really expensive depending on how you do it. Learn how to make a credit card remittance and find out about some cheaper alternative options.
What happens when you send money overseas with a credit card?
- You will probably pay a higher interest rate as a “cash advance” from the day you make the transfer.
- You will pay more in fees.
- You probably won’t get a competitive exchange rate
The Currency Shop says:
- In most cases, you’re better off funding a transfer using your bank account, an electronic funds transfer or a direct debit.
- You’ll get a better deal, pay lower fees and get a more competitive exchange rate using a dedicated currency provider.
What we will cover in this guide
Most of us have credit cards, and they’re a convenient way to buy now and pay later. In some cases, credit cards can be used to transfer money internationally. It’s vital to understand the fees, charges and fine print so you don’t end up paying too much. In this article we’ll explore:
So, when should you use a credit card to transfer money overseas?
It is possible to send money overseas with a credit card, but the fees and charges make it more expensive than most other methods.
When you might want to use a credit card
There are some situations where you might want to use a credit card to send money:
- If you’re benefitting from a reward program like cashback or frequent flyer miles.
- You need to send money in an emergency and don’t have another way of funding your transfer.
Drawbacks of using a credit card
The drawbacks of using a credit card to send money include:
- Not all providers will accept a credit card as payment to fund your exchange.
- The credit card company will often charge higher interest rates on cash advances from the day you send the money.
- You will often pay other fees and charges if you send money using a credit card.
Can you pay off a credit card with an international bank account?
As a general rule - no. It's particularly hard to do this if the credit card you have isn't from the same bank as your international bank account.
Emergency transfers – MoneyGram, Western Union and PayPal
PayPal, Western Union and MoneyGram are best used only in an emergency. The fees and possibility of a “double conversion” (if you fund in a currency other than Australian dollars) mean that you won’t get a competitive return on your transfer.
- MoneyGram accepts credit card or debit card payment online, and cash in person. A card issuer cash advance fee and associated interest charges may apply.
- Western Union does accept international payments online via debit or credit card, at no additional penalty. They accept Visa and MasterCard. The maximum daily amount for an online transfer is $5,000AUD.
- PayPal does let you fund an international transfer with a credit card, but you will pay for the privilege. They accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express, but charge a minimum of 3.9% of your transfer amount. Additionally, fees can be as high as 7.4% depending on the country you are sending to.
Standard transfers – your bank
As international payment providers, banks can be versatile but do have their weaknesses. They provide multiple ways to fund and send your payment, although you’ll pay for all of them no matter what method you choose. The fees are higher than alternative transfer providers and the rates are worse. As a result, the cost of this extra “convenience” doesn’t seem worth it.
You can use a credit card issued by your bank to make an online international money transfer, providing it is linked to your online banking. Banks also accept credit cards for payment through other forms of transfer including phone banking and in person at a branch.
10 Free Transfers
The Currency Shop has partnered with CurrencyFair to offer 10 fee free money transfers. Click on this offer, register your details and avoid paying a fee to transfer money overseas.
- Easy to use online platform
- Excellent exchange rates for sending money to and from Australia
- Rated Excellent 4.7 out of 5 by over 4000 customers on independent review site Trustpilot.