Learn about the Commonwealth Travel Money Card in this review to help you decide whether this is the card for you.
Pre-paid Visa Travel card
Option to purchase security insurance
Lock in exchange rate
Easy to use via the CommBank app
Use in over 36 million locations worldwide
No reload, currency conversion or transaction fees
Up to 13 currencies on one card
Pros & Cons
|Free initial load and reloads||$15 purchase fee|
|No cancellation fee||$15 replacement fee|
|Option to purchase security insurance||ATM withdrawal fee|
|No cross currency conversion fee|
Benefits of the Auspost Multi-currency Cash Passport
Manage your money
- Reloadable for free in the CommBank app, NetBank, in branch, over the phone or via BPAY
- Transfer existing card balances into other currencies
- Check your balance and transaction history via the easy CommBank app or online
- Purchase Security insurance that provides coverage for items purchased on your Travel Money Card that are lost, stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase
- Chip and PIN protected
- Change your PIN via app or Netbank website
- Transfer to and from selected CommBank accounts in real time
- Concierge service
- Free back-up card
- 24/7 fraud monitoring
- Enjoy free reloads at locked in exchange rates via the CommBank app or NetBank, BPAY or in branch
- Lock in the value of your foreign currency on purchase of your card
- Free transfer between currencies on card
- No cross currency conversion fee
Currencies and Countries
Australian dollars (AUD)
US dollars (USD)
Great British pounds (GBP)
New Zealand dollars
Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
Canadian dollars (CAD)
Singapore dollars (SGD)
Thai baht (THB)
Japanese yen (JPY)
United Arab Emirates dirham (AED)
|Minimum Load||Maximum Load|
|Loading Funds||Number of Loads|
|ATM Withdrawal Limit (24 hours)||POS Transaction Limit (24 hours)|
AUD 2,500 (or currency equivalent)
AUD 7,500 (or currency equivalent)
All prices are in AUD
|Card Purchase||Initial Load||Reload Funds|
|Foreign Currency Conversion*||Inactivity Fee||Card Termination|
|Negative Balance||Replacement Card|
* No fee is applicable. The rate applicable to the conversion is the retail foreign exchange rate at the time of the conversion.
** When CBA convert funds to repay the negative balance they will use the retail exchange rate applicable at the time the transaction is processed.
|ATM Withdrawal Fees*|
*No charge at any Commonwealth Bank or Bank West ATM in Australia. In addition, all ATM balance enquiries are free.
Dom is from the UK but has lived in Australia for the past year. He decided to travel Asia for a month while his work allowed him to. In Australia, he banks with Commonwealth and decided to take out their ‘Commonwealth Travel Money Card’ for his trip.
Instead of worrying about carrying cash around in his backpack, or being charged using his Debit card, Dom left Australia knowing he had loaded his sufficient AUD funds into the correct currencies he would need for the countries he was visiting. It was also the only card that supported Vietnam Dong.
What Dom also found out on his trip was how easy it was to reload funds and keep an eye on his transaction history through the CommBank app. Dom also had the freedom to transfer leftover funds from currencies so he could choose to spend as much it before returning back, or redeem it.
How To Apply for the Multi-currency Cash Passport
Order your card through Netbank or call up a branch closest to you
Order your card online
Lock in your currencies and exchange rates
Use your card online or overseas
In a hurry? Visit a Commbank closest to you
Recommended For You
This calculator helps you compare exchange rates and fees of banks and travel money specialists.
Find out the best ways to exchange money. We will show you the cheapest places to buy currency, where to find the best exchange rate and how to get your holiday money online or in store.
We’ve had a good look through a dozen of the most widely used Travel Cards and came up with some tips that might save you some money.