Darwins's Best Places to Exchange Currency
There are various places where you can exchange money in Darwin. Finding the best exchange rate between any of the banks or a range of money changers will require a little bit of knowledge on currency. In this guide, you will find important information that will help you save on your foreign currency exchange in Darwin.
How to exchange currency without getting ripped off
This is usually the cheapest way to buy currency, but you need some time. You can choose where to pick the order up from or get it home delivered.
Home or Office Delivery
- You can pay by Bpay or bank transfer.
- It takes up to 7 days depending on your location.
- Choose your cash denominations like small, medium, large or mixed
- Foreign Xchange usually has better exchange rates than Travelex.
Click and Collect
- Don't pay by card. There is card processing fee. You can avoid it by using Bpay instead.
- It takes 2-7 days depending on how you pay and where you pick it up from.
- Travelex have the most pick-up locations including Australia Post and every major airport.
This is the best way to get currency quickly. You will find them in major shopping centres and towns.
- Use a discount coupon to get $10 off from Travelex stores
- The exchange rates are better in your CBD. So it can be worth going there if you're exchanging more than $2,000
- Always ask for a better rate. We've found you can often get a better deal just by asking, particularly if you're buying more than $100
Here are the money exchangers in Darwin:
Travel Money Oz: Shop 4, Mitchell Centre, 55 – 59 Mitchell St (Cnr Knuckey St), Darwin, NT, 0800
Travelex: Shop GD017 Casuarina Square, 247 Trower Road, Casuarina, 0810
American Express Currency Exchange: 24 Smith St, Darwin NT 0800
Remittance & Money Exchange: Mitchell Centre Kiosk A 53 59 Mitchell St, Darwin NT 0800
Most people wouldn’t expect banks to have competitive exchange rates. You’ll be surprised because in some cases, it is better to exchange currency through the bank. If you are looking for an unpopular currency, banks exchange rates tend to be better than money changers. Simply due to the fact that they have a larger supply of different currencies.
Banks in Darwin:
ANZ: 69 Smith St, Darwin City NT 0800
CBA: 67A Smith St, Darwin City NT 0800
Westpac: The Mall, 24 Smith St, Darwin, NT 0800
NAB: 71 Smith St, Darwin NT 0800
To work out if a bank is the cheapest way to buy your currency, make sure you compare exchange rates.
Our Verdict: When buying less common currencies like Nepalese Rupee (NPR), an Australian bank may turn out to be the cheapest option.
Travel Cards, Money Transfers and Other Situations
Can I send money overseas from anywhere in Darwin?
While you have the option to send money overseas at a bank or money changer, it usually isn’t the best way to transfer money.
There are many different choices so we recommend doing your research online before deciding what is right for you.
Can I buy a Travel Money Card in Darwin?
You can buy a travel money card over the counter at most banks or money changers. While buying the travel money card on the spot is seemingly convenient, your name would not be on it. Another way is to order and load your card online and arrange a time and place to pick it up.
Compare Travel Cards