Here's How to Safely Exchange Currency in Cairns
Whether you are based in Cairns or just traveling through and looking to exchange your foreign currency, there are smart ways to save on your currency exchange. Money changers like Travel Money Oz and the big 4 banks offer a broad variety in terms of exchange rates. Here you will find out top tips and tricks to getting the best rate when you buy travel money in Cairns.
How to exchange currency without getting ripped off
This is usually the cheapest way to buy currency, but you need some time. You can choose where to pick the order up from or get it home delivered.
Home or Office Delivery
- You can pay by Bpay or bank transfer.
- It takes up to 7 days depending on your location.
- Choose your cash denominations like small, medium, large or mixed
- Foreign Xchange usually has better exchange rates than Travelex.
Click and Collect
- Don't pay by card. There is card processing fee. You can avoid it by using Bpay instead.
- It takes 2-7 days depending on how you pay and where you pick it up from.
- Travelex have the most pick-up locations including Australia Post and every major airport.
This is the best way to get currency quickly. You will find them in major shopping centres and towns.
- Use a discount coupon to get $10 off from Travelex stores
- The exchange rates are better in your CBD. So it can be worth going there if you're exchanging more than $2,000
- Always ask for a better rate. We've found you can often get a better deal just by asking, particularly if you're buying more than $100
Cairns has a number of currency specialists in the area:
Travel Money Oz: Shop L01, 122 Cairns Central Shopping Centre, 1 – 21 McLeod Street
Travelex: Shop 73, Cairns Central Shopping Centre, c/o Spence Street and McLeod Street, Cairns QLD 4870
Global Money Exchange: 69 Abbott St, Cairns City QLD 4870
In certain cases, using a bank will get you a better exchange rate. Some currencies do not circulate around as often as others, and it can be more expensive to obtain. In Australia, common currencies are USD, EUR, JPY and NZD. When getting anything other than those currencies, head to the bank.
Banks in Brookside all at one location:
ANZ: Brookside Shopping Centre, 159 Osborne Rd, Mitchelton QLD 4053
CBA: Brookside Shopping Centre, 159 Osborne Rd, Shop 100, Mitchelton QLD 4053
Westpac: Brookside Shopping Centre, 42/159 Osborne Rd, Mitchelton QLD 4053
NAB: Brookside Shopping Centre, 159 Osborne Rd, Mitchelton QLD 4053
To work out if a bank is the cheapest way to buy your currency, make sure you compare exchange rates.
Our Verdict: When buying less common currencies like Swedish Krona (SEK), an Australian bank may turn out to be the cheapest option.
Travel Cards, Money Transfers and Other Situations
Can I send money overseas from anywhere in Brookside?
While you have the option to send money overseas at a bank or money changer, it usually isn’t the best way to transfer money.
There are many different choices so we recommend doing your research online before deciding what is right for you.
Can I buy a Travel Money Card in Brookside?
You can buy a travel money card over the counter at most banks or money changers. While buying the travel money card on the spot is seemingly convenient, your name would not be on it. Another way is to order and load your card online and arrange a time and place to pick it up.
Compare Travel Cards