Where to Find the Best Currency Exchange Rates in the Brisbane CBD
Coronavirus Update: Many currency exchange stores such as Travel Money Oz and Travelex have temporarily closed their doors due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you want to exchange money in they Brisbane CBD, there is a good chance that most of your options will be closed.
Unimoni have just opened 1 store in Sunnybank Plaza. S Money is also available but you need to order online and pay for your order first before going into the city.
Check this page regularly for updates for when travel money stores open again.
The Brisbane CBD offers a number of options when it comes to currency exchange. We’ve done some research and compiled important information to help you make the right choice for you to buy travel money in the Brisbane.
To buy US dollars, Euros, Japanese Yen or New Zealand Dollars
Compared to the other online currency exchangers, S Money had the best exchange rates. They use the same wholesale rate that you see on Google or xe.com making them the clear winner.
They do charge a service fee though which start at $9. Even taking this into account, they were the cheapest option.
How it works
- You have to order your currency online
- Choose to pick the currency up in the Brisbane, otherwise there is a $19 delivery fee
- Pay for for your order using PayID or a bank transfer. Then it can be ready within 24 hours. Avoid using your card as there is a card fee of 1.2%
To buy other popular currencies
We found the best rates to buy Singapore Dollars, Thai Baht, Indonesian Rupiah or Canadian Dollars in-store.
In Brisbane, Lotus and Johnson Money Exchange had both the stock and better rates when we compared each money changer.
How it works
- You have to walk into the store in person to get the best rate
- For larger amounts, above $500 ask if they can improve their price. You can often save more by doing so
- You can pay by cash or card. Keep in mind that card fees vary depending on the currency exchange and your card provider.
To sell currency
To sell currency, you have to do it in-person at a currency exchange. No money changers will do it online.
When we compared the exchange rates to sell currency, we found that was no single store that consistently provided the best deal.
It really comes down to what currency you are selling and how much you have.
How it works
- Make sure you check and compare at least a couple of different money changers
- For larger amounts, above $500 ask if they can improve their price. They will often improve it for you but you have to ask.
- Keep in mind that for less common currencies like Zambian Kwacha or Iraqi Dinars, most money changers won't buy it from you. The money changers aren't able to resell it other customers quickly so they prefer not to buy it. You can consider donating it. Travel Money Oz and Commonwealth Bank accept foreign currency and they donate it to UNICEF.
Currency Exchange in Brisbane
Where to exchange money in Brisbane
There is no money changer that is a clear winner for having the best exchange rate on every currency and amount. There were a variety of fees, ranging from a small percentage to a set rate.
Some money changers were definitely better than others when it came to the rates they offered, but remember different providers can have better rates for certain currencies.
|Money Changer||Address||Phone Number|
|Travel Money Oz||302/91 Queen St in the Myer Centre||1300 167 668|
|Travel Money Oz||Shop 6, 158 Adelaide St||1300 457 110|
|Travel Money Oz||Shop GL45, 149 Adelaide St in the Queens Plaza Shopping Centre||1300 663 894|
|Unimoni||Lot 29/198 Adelaide St in the Anzac Square Arcade||(07) 3021 3001|
|Travelex||149F / 91 Queen St in the Myer Centre||(07) 3210 6325|
|Aus X Change||11A/255 Queen St in the MacArthur Central Shopping Centre||(07) 3194 5133|
|City Exchange Mart||102 Queen St in the Queen Adelaide Building||1800 501 500|
|Travelex||HSBC Ground Floor, 300 Queen St in the HSBC Building||(07) 3174 1018|
|Johnson Money Exchange||231 Albert St||0402 083 378|
|Lotus Foreign Exchange||Shop 36A/198 Adelaide St in ANZAC Square||(07) 3220 2881|
|Commonwealth Bank||Ground Floor / 46 Market St||13 22 21|
Money exchange reviews
Travel Money Oz Review
The best service in Brisbane. Friendly, professional and no wait time. Reasonable rates, no fees and ID required for amounts over $1000.
Unimoni (formally UAE Exchange)
Friendly, professional, with some of the best exchange rates particularly for selling currency to them. There are bank limits for eftpos and photo ID is required.
The excellent range of products and currencies didn't make up for the average service. Their exchange rates are much better if you order online and pick up in-store.