Where to Find the Best Currency Exchange Rates in the Perth CBD
Coronavirus Update: Many currency exchange stores such as Travel Money Oz and Travelex have temporarily closed their doors due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you want to exchange money in they Perth CBD, there is a good chance that most of your options will be closed.
Unimoni have just opened 1 store in the CBD. S Money is also available but you need to order online and pay for your order first before going into the city.
Check this page regularly for updates for when travel money stores open again.
To buy US dollars, Euros, Japanese Yen or New Zealand Dollars
Compared to the other online currency exchangers, S Money had the best exchange rates. They use the same wholesale rate that you see on Google or xe.com making them the clear winner.
They do charge a service fee though which start at $9. Even taking this into account, they were the cheapest option.
How it works
- You have to order your currency online
- Choose to pick the currency up in the Perth CBD, otherwise there is a $19 delivery fee
- Pay for for your order using PayID or a bank transfer. Then it can be ready within 24 hours. Avoid using your card as there is a card fee of 1.2%
To buy other popular currencies
We found the best rates to buy Singapore Dollars, Thai Baht, Indonesian Rupiah or Canadian Dollars in-store.
In Perth, Unimoni had both the stock and better rates when we compared each money changer.
How it works
- You have to walk into the store in person to get the best rate
- For larger amounts, above $500 ask if they can improve their price. You can often save more by doing so
- You can pay by cash or card. Keep in mind that card fees vary depending on the currency exchange and your card provider.
To sell currency
To sell currency, you have to do it in-person at a currency exchange. No money changers will do it online.
When we compared the exchange rates to sell currency, we found that was no single store that consistently provided the best deal.
It really comes down to what currency you are selling and how much you have.
How it works
- Make sure you check and compare at least a couple of different money changers
- For larger amounts, above $500 ask if they can improve their price. They will often improve it for you but you have to ask.
- Keep in mind that for less common currencies like Zambian Kwacha or Iraqi Dinars, most money changers won't buy it from you. The money changers aren't able to resell it other customers quickly so they prefer not to buy it. You can consider donating it. Travel Money Oz and Commonwealth Bank accept foreign currency and they donate it to UNICEF.
Currency Exchange in Perth
Where to exchange money in Perth
There is no money changer that is a clear winner for having the best exchange rate on every currency and amount. We found a variety of fees ranging from a small percentage to a fixed rate. So make yourself aware of these when choosing a provider.
We also found that different providers exceeded with different currencies. Major currencies can generally be found in the CBD. These include US dollars, Euros or Japanese Yen. For some currencies, ordering online can still return a better deal. Especially if there isn't stock in the CBD. Your own research is pivotal.
Use our guide to find out where to buy travel money in the Perth CBD.
|Travel Money Oz||G5 / 110 William St||1300 606 413|
|Unimoni||Shop 51, 647 - 657 Hay Street Mall, London Court||(08) 6212 5301|
|Money Change Group||Piccadilly Theatre and Arcade, Shop 2, 700-704 Hay St||(08) 9485 2263|
|Travelex||Inside HSBC, 188 / 190 St Georges Terrace||(08) 6141 5007|
|Commonwealth Bank||Shop 1/95 William St||(08) 9482 6325|
|Travel Money Oz||Shop 24, London Court Arcade, 647 - 653 Hay St||1300 614 717|
|ANZ Bank||Allendale Sq, Ground Floor / 77 St Georges Terrace||13 13 14|
Money exchange reviews
Travel Money Oz Review
Some of the best service in city. Friendly, professional and no wait time. Reasonable rates, no fees and ID required for amounts over $1000.
Unimoni (formally UAE Exchange)
Friendly, professional, with some of the best exchange rates particularly for selling currency to them. There are bank limits for eftpos and photo ID is required.
The excellent range of products and currencies didn't make up for the average service. Their exchange rates are much better if you order online and pick up in-store.