Find the Best Way to Send Money to Hungary
Want to find the best time to transfer?
Never miss a great rate again! Choose to track the rate daily or set an alert for the rate you want and we'll let you know when to transfer.
Some of the best money transfer services to send money to Hungary
- TransferWise offer the best exchange rates to send money to Hungary and charge a transparent fee making them one of the most popular online money transfer services
- TorFX have great phone support making them ideal for expats transferring larger amounts overseas
- OFX is one of the largest Australian owned transfer companies. Their fees and exchange rates vary on the currency you are sending and the amount of the transfer.
- WorldRemit is one of the cheapest ways to send money to Hungary and is great for international payments to family and friends
- SendFX are a newer money transfer service based in Queensland with good rates and no fees
- XE Money Transfers are one of the largest and most reputable money transfer companies in the world
- CurrencyFair is a leading peer-to-peer transfer company based in Ireland
- Remitly are very good for small remittances and often offer a special rate or discount to new customers
In this guide
Transferring money to Hungary from Australia is hard. There are lots of companies who say they'll send your money, but once you drill down you find their options are limited. We inform you on how you can transfer money to Hungary in a simple, fast and safe way, using the best money transfer companies.
Key Take Outs
How to transfer money to Hungary from Australia in 3 easy steps
Using a money transfer service
Best ways to send money to Hungary
1. Using a money transfer company
A money transfer company specialises in foreign currency exchange. You can send money online from an Australian bank account to another bank account overseas. It's normally the cheapest and fastest way to transfer money.
We trust two companies for money transfers to Hungary:
2. Remittance company money transfer
Remittance companies specialise in sending small amounts overseas to friends and family overseas. They're able to transfer money overseas to bank accounts, provide cash pick up and transfers by mobile wallets.
They're usually more expensive than other online money transfer companies, but are often faster in emergencies.
While Western Union is the most well-known remittance company, there are some better alternatives:
3. Bank transfers
It's very difficult to find a bank in Australia to send HUF to Hungary, at best they will send USD.
A bank transfer moves money between countries on the SWIFT network or an electronic wire or telegraphic transfer. Money is transferred from one bank account to a bank account in another country.
They are more expensive and often slower to transfer your money overseas.
How much will it cost to make my international money transfer?
There are 3 fees you'll usually be charged to send money to Hungary:
- Exchange rates - The better the exchange rate, the more Hungarian forint (HUF) you get in the bank account in Hungary. Money transfer services that offer better exchange rates will usually charge you a separate transfer fee.
- Transfer fees - These can range anywhere between $0 to $5. Some online transfer companies offer fee-free transfers for sending large amounts of money. These companies usually charge a slightly worse margin on their exchange rate, but are still better than bank fees.
- Hidden fees - You or the person you're sending money too will often get charged a bank receiving fee or banks intermediary fee of approximately $25 each.
How long does it take to transfer money overseas?
Money Transfer Services can take 0 - 3 business days
When using a money transfer service like TransferWise, they tend to quote transfer time in hours not days. Unlike banks, they keep you updated on the movement of your funds. This includes the estimated arrival time of your funds to the account you're sending money to.
Remittance Companies can take 0 - 5 business days
An instant transfer is available with remittance companies if you pay a higher transfer fee and the person can collect in cash. Alternatively you can send money using money in your bank account to another bank account and it can take up to 5 business days.
Bank to Bank Transfer can take 2 - 5 business days
Also known as a 'wire' or 'telegraphic transfer'. These transfers are slow, because the money may go through a network of correspondent banks before landing into the account in Hungary. The time it takes will also vary depending on the bank receiving the money. Plus, it's up to you to check if the person you sent money has received it.
What information do I need to transfer money to Hungary from Australia?
- Your personal information: Your full name, address and date of birth. For security reasons they need your photo id scanned or photographed. You can use your mobile phone to take a photo and send.
- How you wish to pay: Your bank details, account numbers and address or debit/credit card details.
- The full name and address of the person you wish to pay.
- Overseas bank account details, the name on the account, the IBAN, the BBAN number and SWIFT code or BIC code for the bank account abroad.
- Make sure your photo is of a high quality so they can see the picture
- Make sure your personal id is valid and within the expiry date
- You can't give your work/office address or PO box address
Can I use PayPal to transfer money overseas?
Yes. You can use PayPal to transfer money overseas if the person you're sending money to also has a PayPal account. However, it can get pretty expensive.
To send $100 Hungarian forint it will cost $5 if you pay using a bank transfer. If you pay with credit or debit card it will cost you $7.60 Australian dollars plus $0.60 Hungarian forint.
Fees are also percentage-based. This means if you send $1,000 it will cost $50 if you pay from your Australian bank account. If you pay with credit or debit card, it will cost $76 Australian dollars plus $0.60 Hungarian forint.
For the person overseas to access the money you sent them, they need to sign up or sign in to their PayPal account.
The fastest way to find the smartest deal
$140.4M saved &
More than 2.3 million satisfied visitors have saved over $140M on currency so far.
Never get ripped
We've partnered with the largest, safest and most trusted money currency brands in the world.
No added costs,
no mark up
Our referral fees don’t affect what you pay. Our exchange expertise is 100% free.
Explore our growing currency resources and make confident buying decisions.
Helpful information, tools and videos
Here at The Currency Shop, you’ll learn how to save on transfer fees when sending money to Australia from overseas.
Send money to and from Australia with these guides
Your currency knowledge centre
5 Cheaper Ways to Transfer Money Overseas
Using a bank is one of the easiest ways of transferring money overseas, but can also be the most costly. There are alternatives that can make the whole process cheaper.
International Money Transfer Comparison and Reviews
Find the best international money transfer exchange rates to send money overseas from Australia. Compare the rates and fees from leading banks and money transfer services.
How to Transfer Money Overseas from your Australian Bank Account
Transferring money overseas from your Australian bank account is simple once you know how to do it, but you might be short on time to figure it out.